[Mageia-dev] Package adoption campaign, 3 months later

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Dec 8 13:13:28 CET 2011

Le jeudi 8 décembre 2011 12:33:28, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
> Hello, I just inform that I was collecting the data for this action, the
> stats are here http://kamil.mageia.org.pl/MageiaStats/ it says about the
> daily ration of the maintained and the unmaintained packages + how many
> full-packagers maintain at least a single package.

Thanks, those stats are cool :)

> Before we start to do that, do you remember about these words:
> Currently the data about ownership of packages is tracked in
> http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/data/maintdb.txt and umaintined packages are
> listed in http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/data/unmaintained.txt. This will
> be better integrated and managed at a later point, and we will have a
> grace period for unmaintained packages. After the grace period, packages
> without a maintainer will be reviewed and any packages without a
> maintainer will be nominated for deletion.
>
> source https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Packaging_guidelines
>
> I look into many really abandoned packages, without any interest among
> the packagers, and for some of them it's even quite hard to find any
> on-line resource.. For example cpuinfo, it's a /proc/* parser for CPU
> related data. It's 2-3 years old (so what about the new hardware?!),
> even the author of the software isn't responding to e-mail to just point
> a working URL for his software.

This example is not really about the package having no maintainer, but rather
for it being dead upstream, which often leads to removal of the distribution
unless a packager becomes the de-facto upstream and has time, willingness and
knowledge to patch it when needed (works also if it's being maintained in
other distributions).

Samuel