[Mageia-dev] Package adoption campaign, 3 months later

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 12 12:47:08 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Samuel Verschelde at 10/12/11 11:14 did gyre and gimble:
> Le samedi 10 décembre 2011 11:14:38, Michael Scherer a écrit :
>> Le jeudi 08 décembre 2011 à 18:51 +0800, Funda Wang a écrit :
>>> I would suggest that registering nobody as a mailing list, so that
>>> every interested packagers could join to help.
>>
>> No.
>>
>> For the reasons already highlighted several time, this would not work.
>> That's the situation at mandriva, and we know well the problem it cause
>> ( aka, obscure communication, no one really in charge of a rpm, so not
>> one feeling responsible for bugs or anything ).
>>
>> Either a package is maintained and should be marked as such, or it is
>> not, and should be marked as such, with a unfortunate fate for him
>> sooner or later.
>>
>> The goal is not to align lots of unmaintained packages, but to have a
>> maintained distribution. People have been complaining for quality since
>> a lot of time, and that's the only way to have it.
>> If not, this end like Mandriva, people see and fill bugs, they are not
>> fixed, and no one care. This greatly undermine the confidence in the
>> distribution in the long run, and so while having maintainer is not a
>> magic solution, this is a important step in the right direction.
>>
>> A free-for-all pool is just a mess.
>
> You're explaining why having orphan packages is bad and it's hard to disagree,
> but I fail to see why such a mailing list for people who are ready to devote
> some time to orphan packages would make things worse. It's not because it's
> not the ideal solution that it's bad, is it?

I understand Misc's point, but when there cannot be a perfect solution
that works, then a least bad one will do.

While it's been said lots of times by Misc that it's a bad situation,
until someone comes up with a better practical approach I don't think a
mailing list will may anything worse and may help when people are idling
and looking for tasks. So I'm in favour of such a mailing list.