[Mageia-dev] How broken are RPM dependencies allowed to be?

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Thu Dec 15 00:10:11 CET 2011

nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> writes:

>> does mean extra effort and I understand if that's why it isn't being
>> done. But if that's the case, then when are versioned dependencies
>> ever acceptable?  The arguments I've been hearing (i.e. never try to mix
>> releases & don't bother trying to use your system during any kind of urpmi
>> update) ultimately mean that they could be entirely removed everywhere.
>
> Versionned dependencies are added when they are needed to allow correct
> updates on stable release or upgrades from one release to an other
> (installing all available updates, not only some of them), for example
> to require installing some packages in the same transaction. Or when
> the dependencies can be detected and added automatically. But I don't
> think you should expect to be able to take any package from any release
> and install it on an other release with accurate dependencies.

And in this case, versionned deps are required for the perl XS modules.
This is usually enforced by find-requires which adds
perlapi-<perl_version> requires. But drakxtools modules are not
installed in a standard path, and thus not found by find-requires.
(please also see replies in the bug report)

I've uploaded a fixed drakxtools.

Thanks Dan for the report

--
Olivier Blin - blino