[Mageia-dev] How broken are RPM dependencies allowed to be?

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:45:28 CET 2011

Le 15/12/2011 10:36, Dan Fandrich a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:37:37PM +0100, nicolas vigier wrote:
>> Versionned dependencies are added when they are needed to allow correct
>> updates on stable release or upgrades from one release to an other
>> (installing all available updates, not only some of them), for example
>> to require installing some packages in the same transaction. Or when
>> the dependencies can be detected and added automatically. But I don't
>> think you should expect to be able to take any package from any release
>> and install it on an other release with accurate dependencies.
>
> This is exactly the kind of policy statement I was hoping to find somewhere.
> If this is the consensus, I'm happy to update the wiki with this added
> detail.
Versionned dependencies are also useful when backporting packages.

> But when you say "from one release to another", presumably you want to
> limit how many releases back you want to bother supporting. There's not
> much point in checking for a minimum version that hasn't shipped for 5 years.
Well, upgrading issues are not strictly limited to versionned
dependencies. The undefined consensus sofar seems to be 'mandatory for
latest stable release, eventually for the previous one, mostly useless
otherwise'.
--
BOFH excuse #270:

Someone has messed up the kernel pointers