[Mageia-dev] ANN: Dracut now mounts /usr properly \o/

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 16 01:41:21 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Olivier Blin at 15/12/11 23:36 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> writes:
>
>> Now, when I installed, dracut wasn't used as initrd, so if no one shouts
>> too loudly I'll make it deprecate mkinitrd tomorrow and we can test
>> installs where dracut generates the first initrd and see how it fairs.
>
> Don't we want to keep mkinitrd available as a fallback for some time?

Maybe but for the next while we should force dracut on everyone and test
that it works well. It's the only way we're going to be able to support
systemd when LVM is used due to systemd needing info from udev and thus
needing udev to be started in the initrd (even tho' udev is ultimately
shut down and restarted, the metadata from the LVM layers started before
persists due to /run/udev being shared and thus systemd deals with disk
mounting fine.

So while we can theoretically keep mkinitrd, I've very much like to see
if we can get away with just having to support one initramfs generator
if we can possibly get away with it.