[Mageia-dev] Issues with dracut

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 16 15:11:48 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 16/12/11 12:58 did gyre and gimble:
> On 16.12.2011 14:35, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Hiya,
>>
>> 'Twas brillig, and JA Magallon at 16/12/11 12:06 did gyre and gimble:
>>> After those couple previous thread it looks like move to dracut is
>>> ongoing, so I decided to try it.
>>
>> Good! This is exactly the kind of feedback we need!
>>
>>> I found a couple problems:
>>>
>>> - dracut inists on loading nouveau driver. With mknitrd, just booting with nokmsboot
>>>   works. Booting with a dracut generated initrd ignores that. I think it is plymouth
>>>   that forces it, even if I added 'blacklist nouveau' in a .conf file in modprobe.d:
>>>
>>> dracut -f:
>>
>> I'll include it but if it's blacklisted, it shouldn't ultimately be used
>> in the ramfs even if it's included. That said, it's clearly inefficient
>> to include it if it is blacklisted so we should try and fix that. Anssi,
>> could this be your code to detect the h/w that causes it to bypass any
>> blacklist checks (not sure if there are actually any blacklist checks
>> when building the initrd... not relaly looked at it much)
>
> There is no check.

OK, so that's fine I think, just a slightly bigger initramfs than is
100% needed but such is life.

I wonder, does the modprobe -R stuff process blacklists... it would be
kinda nice if a side effect of improving the hostonly mode was to not
include blacklisted modules... :D

>> I think the nokmsboot parameter is not working in dracut because the
>> udev rule that interprets it uses the grep command and that is not
>> currently included in the ramdisk. I could hack it in easy enough, but
>> we should maybe see if a more minimal method of detecting it in the
>> commandline is possible.
>
> Ah, my dracut initramfs from last month has it, but maybe it has changed
> since then...

I suspect it's a side effect of:
./modules.d/00bootchart/module-setup.sh:    inst /bin/grep

i.e. if you have bootchart installed, then you get grep and thus other
things work too.

> Feel free to change the udev rule to use a more minimal method :)

I'll have a look and if I cannot come up with something better, I'll
just give up and force grep to be installed :D

Cheers