[Mageia-dev] ANN: X11 now starts on tty1

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sat Dec 17 12:34:21 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 17 december 2011 11:58:31 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
> 2011/12/17 Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de>:

> >> May be yes, may be no. I'm thinking about those computer adepts who
> >> have spent 10-15 years with the Ctrl-Alt-F1 combo, is it so easy to
> >> change a grown habit which is like the "Red = Stop!" paradigma? I'm
> >> thinking also about all those who spend time with different distros,
> >> having to change one of the most common procedures just for Mageia.
> >> I'm thinking of rather new Linuxers who follow advice in documentation
> >> - ALL docs on the net talk about Ctrl-Alt-F1, all generic books like
> >> Linux in a Nutshell or others talk about Ctrl-Alt-F1.
> >>
> >> So, my question is whether a second's flickering during startup really
> >> justifies such a strong change?
> >
> > Well, maybe you haven't heard of the related problems yet:
> > https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Errata#Xserver_crashes
>
> Of course I read that part of the Errata but did not relate it to the
> matter of this thread - how could I as a non-developer? The relation
> has not been mentioned in the errata.
>
> As I wrote in my first mail I am not really against this change if
> there is a reason. There seems to be a reason (as you say), so it's
> ok. But still I think all open questions (especially the one about the
> situation of a crashing or failing x server) need to be addressed
> before the change is made in cauldron to be tested by a broader
> userbase. And I still think it needs to be announced all over the
> place when the change will be implemented.

it does need to be announced all over the place.

> About the question how hard it is to press another key: not hard. But
> the Ctrl-Alt-F1 has been a standard in ALL distributions and ALL
> documentations (even in the generic books about "Learning Linux"), a
> standard like the SAA menue standard ("File" on the left, "Help" on
> the right) or the "F1 opens Help" standard. Therefore changing this is
> a bit more than usual changes between versions.

well, that may be true, but not anymore on all distros and during installation
times not anymore as well...

if we get such a dynamic scheme, that would be nice. but that will likely only
work on systemd... what about sysvinit? it was still supposed to be the
default for mga2 ...

but we can test, and work on that... if it doesn't work with sysvinit
properly, i still vote for returning to F7 ... but we can change that for beta
release...