[Mageia-dev] mariadb

Funda Wang fundawang at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 15:08:10 CET 2011

2011/12/17 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
> Am Samstag, 17. Dezember 2011, 15:45:42 schrieb Anssi Hannula:
>> +1 for not naming it as libmariadb18 if it actually contains
>> libmysqlclient.so.18.
> But mariadb is not mysql, it's a kind of fork of mysql.
The fact is, if package foo is requiring libmysqlclient.so.18, and
there are libmysql18-5.5.15 and libmariadb18-5.5.18, urpmi will select
libmariadb18 because of its higher version. And, from [1], it is said,
mariadb is a binary drop in replacement for mysql, which quite
different from the word of fork.

[1]: http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql