[Mageia-dev] mariadb

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sat Dec 17 22:03:39 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 17 december 2011 16:22:50 schreef Balcaen John:
> Le samedi 17 décembre 2011 17:14:52 Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> > >
> > > But mariadb is not mysql, it's a kind of fork of mysql.
> > >
> > > We don't call libreoffice openoffice and we don't call Mageia Mandriva,
> > > do we?
> >
> > Fair points.
> >
> > IMHO library packages should still be primarily named after the library
> > they contain, regardless of project name.
> >
> > But indeed we have no clear policy regarding that, making it kind of
> > maintainer decision.
>
> Well since we still don't know if we're going to follow mariadb path or
> mysql, we should probably better stick to mariadb inside the library name.
> (Not to mention we don't know if mariadb is not going to change the
> library's name from libmysql to libmariadb.)
>
> Regards,

knowing that almost all "Mysql AB" programmers are now in "Monty Program" and
together with alot other devs are now in mariadb, and oracle had to hire alot
of new devs to work on mysql... and that Oracle is already busy close-sourcing
stuff...

i have a feeling that it'll go from a drop-in replacement to a full fork
somewhere in the future. thus it's not farfetched that they would actually
rename it.

i'd like to keep it like this for now, we'll see how things evolve.

AL13N

PS: original founder monty, however feels actually no need to rename any of
it, since he sees it as a continuation and that his programs are named after
his kids :-). other people feel they should break with oracle and thus do
different naming...