[Mageia-dev] Issues with dracut

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 03:14:28 CET 2011

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:21:14 -0500, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> Dracut should install all dynamic libs needed by apps. Which app needs
> this library specifically?

Do you have /usr on a logical volume?

I've figured out now, that /lib/dracut/hooks/pre-pivot/50mount-usr.sh is
failing, as lvm has not yet been activated.

Later, I'm dropped to a shell, after the switch to the new root, and
since /usr hasn't been mounted, any commands that try to load
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5 such as lvm, grep, or less, will fail.

When I've copied /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5* to /lib and run ldconfig,
it still fails in 50mount-usr, but succeeds later, after the root
switch.

The dm-mod module loading, and the "lvm vgchange -ay --sysinit" command
should be run before looking for the root file system, as it too could be
on a logical volume.

Regards, Dave Hodgins