[Mageia-dev] ANN: X11 now starts on tty1

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 13:26:11 CET 2011

2011/12/18 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 18/12/11 11:46 did gyre and gimble:
>> Op zondag 18 december 2011 11:54:17 schreef Colin Guthrie:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 18/12/11 10:32 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> Personally I'm not a fan of sticking to vt7. As I said in an earlier
>>> thread, if the primary use case of the machine is graphical, then why
>>> start at 7? It's an arbitrary choice that fitted in with other uses when
>>> it was first introduced, but these days it's pretty backwards when
>>> considered on it's own. The only reason to preserve it is out of habit
>>> and I think that this is (generally speaking) the worst possible premise
>>> to base decisions on. I mean, if we want to let people use fast user
>>> switching easily they first have to learn first about vt switch command
>>> ctrl+alt+Fn. Then they have to learn that the first login is on 7 and
>>> the subsequent ones are on 8 etc. This doesn't make sense...
>>>
>>> What *should* happen is that the first one is 1.. the second one is 2 etc.
>>>
>>> When I'm in gnome, and I switch to tty2 for the first time, rather than
>>> getty appearing wouldn't it be better if the gdm prompt appeared for a
>>> second graphical login?
>>>
>>> I'm not suggesting that we ditch text logins completely, but I'm just
>>> saying that we should try and make things generally smoother if they
>>> user has already opted for a graphical system.
>>>
>>> Switching to e.g. 7 or 8 should maybe default to providing a text login
>>> and gdm should maybe present a "give me a text login" option in which
>>> case that X server quits and getty replaces it.
>>>
>>> Anything unused should timeout and quit (e.g. a getty on tty2 unused
>>> should exit and wait and be re-activated as appropriate later.
>>>
>>> All these things are possible (maybe not without upstream support, but I
>>> can ask Ray about the general plans here from a gdm perspective).
>>>

>>> Just for reference this is how the seat extender USB things work. Little
>>> thin clients that you plug into USB that give you a keyboard mouse and
>>> display. When you plug it in for the first time, it registers a new seat
>>> and then gives you a gdm login prompt. I don't think mutli user should
>>> be much different from multi-seat in this regard.

>>> I don't think they default to it but plenty people try to change it to
>>> that according to Google.
>>>

>>> Col
>>

>> theoretically, i'd be in favor of on-demand vt allocation, be it graphical or
>> textbased.
>>
>> i'd be ok with a session starting when going to other vt (default session, be
>> it a dm or a textbased login.)
>
> Yup, this is generally what I'd propose.
>
>> however, the dm should allow to fall back to
>> textbased, but there we run into a problem:
>>
>> what if X is failing, you can't go back to text-login, so that's a nono
>>
>> perhaps we could document that we'd preallocate F12 or something for text-
>> based emergency, but then noone would know...
>
> Yeah, as above, I was suggesting that e.g. 7&8 were always text logins.

> [...]

What happens in this new scheme if graphical server fails - this is
happening more often than you think - this is not clear to me yet. If
the x server crashes and the default is starting a DM and graphical
login, what will happen then?

What happens if a user wants to boot into run level 3? He will get a
text prompt because neither x nor any DM has started yet - where does
he land, on VT7?

What happens when using SysReq keys?

About displaying a graphical login - when I press Ctrl-Alt-Fn I do
this to go to a text console, not to yet another x screen and I expect
a prompt, not yet another graphical login.

--
wobo