[Mageia-dev] RFC: udev in stage1 (installer currently broken)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 19 13:28:56 CET 2011

Hi,

OK, so it seems that my pushing of dracut has indeed broken the install
stage.

It's ultimately down to /dev/block/ not existing in the installer which
is also a fallout from it not using udev.

As systemd basically needs dracut, I think we now need to look at
putting udev to work in the installer rather than a static /dev tree.

What do people think of this? I'm not sure how stage1 works, but (in
theory at least) it could be generated via a dracut module - dracut
itself is pretty flexible for producing these kind of things... having
never looked at how stage1 is created, this is perhaps a very outlandish
suggestion!

Anyway, comments about this welcomed. Obviously it would be nice to look
at this sooner rather than later. Also not sure how mdv handles this
considering they are now using systemd+dracut too.....