[Mageia-dev] packaging savoir-vivre

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Wed Dec 28 23:26:22 CET 2011

Op dinsdag 20 december 2011 01:41:38 schreef Kamil Rytarowski:
> Hello!
>
> What do you think of marking packages on which we (or our apprentices)
> are working?
>
> I've experienced that when we are working on a package - even if it is
> noticed on Bugzilla, Mageia-Dev or elsewhere - someone may simply
> check-out the package, bump version or make some changes (resolve a
> bug), check-in. We know that making changes in a long spec, may take
> days or even month (a lot of sources, large installation-tree, patches
> to review, consulting upstream etc), and rapid changes can do nothing good.
>
> Today I talked on it, how to prevent a package from being localized by
> someone and simply bumped without asking.
>
> So what do you think on marking packages that are underdevelopment?
>
> I think it's good to just simply mark it in the 1st line of a svn-spec:
> "# (name) date message", e.g. "# (john) 2011.12.20 please don't touch
> this package, I'm working on it right now, it may take a few weeks" or
> "# (john) 2011.08.23 don't update the version, it won't match current KDE".
>
> There is already a list of sensitive packages here
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Sensitive_packages maybe just it is
> sufficient for 10,000 packages distribution?

imho the best solution is that everyone checks if there's a maintainer for it
and asks maintainer first...

i mean, it's all nice that it's in the spec file, but i think people who bump,
rarely look inside spec file... (not saying any names)

if something has got to be checked, maintainership is a good place to start

if we would have some kind of page which would list the activeness of
maintainers, via gathering info from commits/bugzilla/mailinglist/forum/ stuff,
that could be a nice place too. then we could see if this maintainer is
actually inactive or not. i would hope this would lessen the amount of people
just bumping stuff if they don't maintain it...