[Mageia-dev] License issues with readline (MariaDB)

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:31:30 CET 2011

[...]
>>> A) follow upstream, and use bundled GPLv2 readline to link static
>>> against
>>> B) go back to readline-v5
>>> C) repackage debian's version of readline-gplv2 (afaik its a v5
>>> maintained)
>>> D) ignore all this legal crap and just link shared with readline v6
>>> E) try to use libedit, but the spec files contain buildConflicts with
>>> it, so i'm
>>> guessing it's for a good reason.
[...]
>>> tbh: even though it's not right, my preference goes to D)
[...]
>> I understand the desire to do D, but it really, really should not be
>> done like that. If we cannot adhere to our own licenses, then how do we
>> expect any traditionally non-foss people to do it? We have to lead by
>> example.
>>
>> So personally I'd go with A and if/when another readline related GPLv3
>> issue crops up in the future, then we switch over to C.

> +1

Even though D) was my preference, i wasn't gonna do it :-)

ok, so A); however, in that case, i'll need some help. i'm able to build
it perfectly, however, there's something strange going on, the rpms
themselves have conflicts with eachother.

mariadb-common conflicts with mariadb-client
(and also something with readline in it, i forgot)

should i submit these to buildsystem, so you guys can help me out on this?

gonna retry this again locally tonight at least..