[Mageia-dev] packaging savoir-vivre

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Thu Dec 29 22:42:58 CET 2011

> W dniu 28.12.2011 23:26, Maarten Vanraes pisze:
>> Op dinsdag 20 december 2011 01:41:38 schreef Kamil Rytarowski:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>> imho the best solution is that everyone checks if there's a maintainer
>> for it
>> and asks maintainer first...
>>
>> i mean, it's all nice that it's in the spec file, but i think people who
>> bump,
>> rarely look inside spec file... (not saying any names)
>>
>> if something has got to be checked, maintainership is a good place to
>> start
> Well, but it doesn't seem to work. In my humble opinion we need it
> guaranteed by our infrastructure.
>> if we would have some kind of page which would list the activeness of
>> maintainers, via gathering info from commits/bugzilla/mailinglist/forum/
>> stuff,
>> that could be a nice place too. then we could see if this maintainer is
>> actually inactive or not. i would hope this would lessen the amount of
>> people
>> just bumping stuff if they don't maintain it...
> I like an idea of a web page with statistics (but not so widely
> gathering data) and I dislike the idea of pinpointing packagers who are
> doing something wrong (like active on packaging, inactive on
> discussions), if our infrastructure will be good on this, then there
> won't be need to pinpoint people and their mistakes.. Of course I don't
> count mindful abusing, trolling etc.

i didn't mean detailed results, this is not about mistakes, and definately
since we're open source and community based.

we all give whatever time we can spare...

it's more about using multiple sources to determine if a user is away for
longer than (s)he normally is...

imho it doesn't need to show any data whatsoever, something like:

query identity user: "alien" ==> user is active/somewhat active/reasonably
active/away for a while/away for quite a while/likely ceased living

it could even be a combination of what usual intervals are and say
something like, "likely there in a couple of hours"