[Mageia-dev] Anybody having high CPU by kded4 after upgrading to 4.6.90?

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Fri Jul 1 01:10:46 CEST 2011

> The solution which worked most of the time for such issues in kde 4.6.xx was:
> 1. open a terminal
> 2. run killall plasma-desktop
> 3. plasma-desktop
>
> the plasmoids and the desktop come back, and kded4 stops using that much CPU.
>
> Last time I looked what it was looking CPU at, it was caused by some run-away timer loop

> deep in kdelibs, but as those issues are quite random I haven't figured out what exactly causes this.

Евгений, thank you, but this is not a solution.

It is not a solution because, as soon as plasma-desktop is back, kded4 takes the same 55...75% CPU.

It is not a solution because, even if it were a temporary fix, it needed to be run after each and every login.

Now, I know my KDE is somewhat b0rken, because akonadiserver can't start -- but I could live just fine this way in KDE 4.6.3-4.6.4, if not even better than with it.

So I should report this as a bug, however I won't do it as long as I'm the only Cauldron user to experience it.

OTOH, let me tell you how to crash *any* KDE4 version (have to report it upstream, works on F15 too):
1. Folder View for the Desktop.
2. Click on a desktop icon, F2 (rename), select the text, right-click (as a reflex to find a menu with Copy);
3. plasma-desktop glorious crash.

Here's the KDE bug that was fixed by accident in KDE 4.6.90:
Upstream bug 235020, with duplicates 228036, 236800, 256257, 255393, 256993, 257591, 262912, 264287, 264664, 265064, 265823, 266245, 270591, 272198, 272662, 274792, 274135, 274659, 275301, 275906, 275906, 276020, 276261.
In short: KCharSelect crashes in some circumstances.
How to make KCharSelect crash on any version up to and including 4.6.4:
1. Open KCharSelect and make it have the minimum horizontal size (it should display 18 characters on a row; if it doesn't, keep it at this size nevertheless);
2. Select the "DejaVu Sans" or any other DejaVu typeface.
3. Keep "European Alphabets" in the first drop-down list.
4. In the second drop-down list, start to switch the code pages between the available ones, in order:
-- Basic Latin
-- Latin-1 Supplement
-- Latin Extended A
-- Latin Extended B
-- Latin Extended Additional
-- Latin Extended C
-- Latin Extended D
and so on.
5. It should have crashed by now. If not, keep switching back and forth between the code pages until it does!
The bug is actually triggered by unknown errors in some fonts (the DejaVu family being one of them).

It's funny to use KDE4 (I was a GNOME guy, that is, until GNOME Shell was announced). Except that kded4 is not funny.

Best regards,
R-C aka beranger