[Mageia-dev] proposal regarding (packager) mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Jul 1 17:07:50 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le mercredi 29 juin 2011 à 17:27 -0400, andre999 a écrit :
>> proposal regarding mentoring program coordinator
>>
>> In various parts of the proposal I assume that users with a Mageia account can
>> receive email redirected to them from pseudo at mageia.org, to the address they
>> give on the Mageia account.  (pseudo being their mageia account name.)
>> (Stormi : it should work for all packagers, but not for new users I think)
>> (Which explains why it doesn't work for my account, as I'm not yet officially a
>> packager.) (but it would be good to activate that for everyone.)
>
> This is a no-go. Emails aliases are not given to everybody that ask, or
> it would be meaningless :/

No problem.
The idea was automatically for everyone with a mageia account.
Otherwise we have to use another approach.
BTW, do packager's get such aliases ?  I'd like to eventually have one.

[...]

>> We would like to have an email address for the team, which would direct messages
>> to all team members.
>> It could be mentoring at mageia.org or similar (suggested by Daniel).
>
> We keep @mageia.org for real persons. The usual way to have a group mail
> is something along foo at group.mageia.org, and this requires a ldap group.
> ( which in turn requires 1) identity account 2) a list of person, and
> someone to manage the group )

Would something like coord at pmentoring.mageia.org be Ok ?
Presumably I would manage the group, which would include at least magnus + Daniel.
So who should I talk to about setting it up ?
Would I be able to add new persons myself, or would I have to request it ?

>> 4) Miscelaneous suggestions
>> - Currently apprentices are promoted to full packagers by their mentor, once the
>> mentor is satisfied with the competence of the apprentice.
>> It has been suggested that apprentices become full packagers by vote.
>> Since this is a skill position, this would be presumably be a vote by mentors or
>> packagers.  Something to consider.
>
> What is the rational for using a vote ?

That was an idea from what is/was apparently done at Ubuntu.  Personally I like
the current approach.  If the mentor isn't sure, they are always free to consult
another before deciding.

[...]

>> - Make list of new package requests, which are simple enough for apprentices to
>> train with.
>
> Or task such as bug triaging, patch triaging, etc.

I've already have a similar suggestion in the wiki.
But I like this better, so it will be added.

Thanks for the feedback :)
--
André