[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:58:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:10, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> If we go back to the beginning of the discussion where to put such
> packages which were in PLF we made a clear difference:
>
> 1. All non-free goes into non-free
>
> 2. Software which may be illegal in some countries (mostly because of
> licensing) will go into tainted.
>
> That's all. Clear and simple.
>
> The question about GPL or other free licenses is not touched by
> tainted. So, everything which does not have to go to tainted will go
> to free (core) or non-free, depending on it's status.

Indeed. http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=licensing_policy#acceptable_licenses
says:

"The tainted section accepts software under a license that is might be
free or open source and which cannot be redistributed publicly in
certain areas in the world, or due to patents issues."

Reformulating it in an other, more explicit way maybe:
 - "core" hosts 100% free software that can be redistributed anywhere
(or almost, the world is a bit more complicated than that)
 - "nonfree" hosts non-free software that can be redistributed anywhere (same)
 - "tainted" hosts all the rest, be it free software or not.

Romain