[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:50:43 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 15:04, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 July 2011 14:27, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I understand this as: software that might be free or open source =>
>> can be not free or open source. "might" expressed the possibility, not
>> the requirement. IOW, tainted does not discriminate free and non free
>> software.
>
> It does differentiate; given that Anssi is the one who worked on the
> tainted policy the most, and he doesn't think faac should be in
> tainted, is enough to say that the wording in the wiki needs to
> express our stance on the issue in a clearer way...

Ok, fine then, fix this in the definition on the wiki. But make sure
to explicit what becomes of software that is non free and questionable
regarding patents (id est, it goes nowhere), so that the layout is
clearer (here with a changed triage):
 - "core": 100% free software
 - "tainted": 100% free software, but locally subject to software
patents or local legal terms
 - "nonfree": non-free software
 - nowhere, we don't package/distribute this: non-free software, for
which we may still have the source code or binaries, and a license to
redistribute from author but patent law or other local provision may
prevent to redistribute it anyway.

(I am not taking sides here, just re-explaining your understanding)

Romain