[Mageia-dev] Updates testing

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:22:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 00:22:38 -0400, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, for big packages like libreoffice, we'll have to rely on the
> free-cost-daily-usage QA, i.e. pushing it to Cauldron users for
> 1-2month, and waiting till the dust settles before pushing to older
> stable releases.

I don't agree with putting a minimum time limit on testing.

Obviously, the qa team cannot test all software in an exhaustive
manner.

To me. as a member of the qa team, it's a matter of using common
sense, on a case by case basis.

Is the hardware widely available?  If yes, wait for someone with
that hardware test it.  If not, confirm it installs on both
platforms without conflicts, and at least one person with the
hardware tests it, such as with the belgium card reader.

In the case of security updates with no poc, just test that the
package installs cleanly on both platforms, and basic functionality
works, such as the iptables update.

In the case of something like libreoffice, I would test that it
installs cleanly, and each major function appears to work. I would
not be testing to see if every possible formula in a spreadsheet
works, just the basics.

If every possible test had to be run, nothing would ever be updated.
Trying to run every possible test in an automated manner would make
the Mageia project look tiny by comparison.

Regards, Dave Hodgins