[Mageia-dev] Updates testing

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Jul 8 22:51:31 CEST 2011

philippe makowski a écrit :
> 2011/7/8 nicolas vigier<boklm at mars-attacks.org>:
>> I think the goal is not to do full regression tests, as we don't have
>> time for this. But do minimal testing, in 1 or 2 minutes, to check that
>> basic functionality is still working, to check that the update didn't
>> break everything. For LibreOffice that could be opening a test document.
>> Most applications are easy to test. But some require knowledge of the
>> software, or some configuration files, to test, so we could keep a list
>> of test commands or things to do and config files.
> make sense

I agree
with a list of packages needing special consideration

> Fedora have interesting rules about update/testing updates
>
> Once pushed to testing, people are able to +1/-1 the updates "karma",
> based on whether or not it seems to be functional for them. If your
> update reaches a karma of 3, it will automatically be pushed to
> stable. Likewise, if it reaches -3, it will be automatically unpushed.
> If your update does not receive enough feedback to automatically push
> it to stable, you will have to submit it as a final update yourself.
> This can easily be done with the command-line tool, or with the web
> interface

I like that approach, in general.
Although if it doesn't work for 1 user, but does for 4 others, it could end up
being pushed despite still having a bug.
(Likely if the bug depends on other apps installed, affecting only a subset of
users.)

--
André