[Mageia-dev] Mageia educational - part 2

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jul 9 00:42:39 CEST 2011

Angelo Naselli a écrit :
> Hi folks,
> thanks to mamming we've improved our wiki page [1].
> It's always work in progress of course, new project entries
> and movement from to be packaged to package are
> always welcome :D
>
> Let's talk about what to do now, two main steps are:
>
> * add missing educational programs
> * group educational programs in specialized meta-packages
>
> For the first step every packagers, or padawans are welcome.
> stblack, pasmatt (matteo) and I will start working asap.
>
> Latter instead is a little bit complex, in that page there
> are projects like monodevelop, blander... that are not
> easy to group in.
>
> IMO we could have three starting meta-packages at the moment
> focused on students age -maybe on their related teacher as
> well- something like:
> pre-school<6 y.o.
> primary-school   6-10 y.o
> secondary-school 10-14 y.o
>
> I can't see how to group for people over (high school?)
> since in Italy for instance we have different kind of
> school addresses e.g. technical in computer science, in chemical, etc...

In North America, your "high school" would be called "middle school", which has
more or less disappeared.
primary is about 6-12 y
secondary is about 13-18 y
the range 10-14 y remains transitional, in terms of curriculum, however.
Smarter kids near the end of primary would be more interested in secondary
level (and the inverse, I would imagine).
Maybe it would be better to designate by anticipated age range ?
In any case, there should be a lot of overlap.
(Just because someone turns 15 they won't suddenly loose interest in what they
used before.)

> Then another issue could be the desktop, or better, installing things
> either for qt or gtk for instance.

I might be mistaken, but wouldn't most of such apps be more or less
desktop-agnostic ?
If not, we should give alternatives -- a Gnome user probably wouldn't want to
install half of KDE for one package, and the equivalent would apply to KDE
users.  And of course other desktops.

> And is it right to install more than one project doing similar things?

Why not ?  It gives a choice, which I think encourages a positive attitude
toward the use of computers as a tool in their life.
As long as we don't try to insist that they can't uninstall something they're
not interested in.

> Should we/Are we able to decide which is the "best" to be included in the
> meta-package?

We could make suggestions, but it seems difficult to decide what.  There is
such variation of interest and ability among the young (like everyone else),
that it seems even more difficult to decide "the" best.

For those of high school level and above, it might be an idea to have meta
packages focused on the domaine of interert, such "natural sciences" or "social
sciences", etc.

> What do you think about this subject?

It might be an idea to have a base meta package which includes LibreOffice,
internet tools, and other apps good for all age groups interested in education ?

> Cheers,
> 	Angelo
>
> [1] http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=sigedu

Regards