[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jul 9 01:04:06 CEST 2011

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/7/8 Thorsten van Lil<tvl83 at gmx.de>:

>>> How can tainted software be free software at the same time?
>>>

>> Because free is a matter of license, while tainted is a matter of patents.
>> For example, the libdvdcss2 is free, as the the source-code is open (GPL)
>> but it touches the patent issue, so it's tainted.
>
> Yes, if you regard patents not as a criterium for free or non-free
> then this division makes sense.
>> From that point of view we need the same structure as PLF
> (tainted-free and tainted-non-free).

As well, the question of patent claims is a totally hypothetical problem, in
almost every country -- including the USA -- for mirrors that carry distros
like Mageia.
(In the USA, the patent office used to systematically refuse patent claims on
software.  And patents are only examined for conflicting US patents before
being registered.  Not for the acceptability of the patent itself.)

So basically, tainted is for the benefit of those who would like to support
software patents.
As non-free is for the benefit of those who would like to support free software.

--
André