[Mageia-dev] new mgarepo version

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jul 16 12:20:22 CEST 2011

Le samedi 16 juillet 2011 à 11:36 +0200, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le samedi 16 juillet 2011 03:02:21, Michael Scherer a écrit :

> > Wasn't it against the policy ( ie, this is neither a bugfix, this is a
> > version update, providing feature ) ?
>
> Strictly speaking, maybe, but the policy says "Things are not set in stone,
> but we need a policy to move ahead with releasing updates for mga1, and we can
> refine the process as we find issues/shortcomings.", and I think this is one of
> the cases where we can allow updates, to ease packager's work. We could add
> "updates of mageia distribution building tools are allowed to ensure that
> packagers using stable releases have the same tools than those using cauldron"

Personally, I would prefer that we first refine the policy and then act
rather than the contrary :)

And so, if we provides newer version of tools, what is wrong with using
backports for that ?

I am not keen on pushing our newer tool on update, since we plan to have
our server using mageia, and so in the futur, if we push newer iurt,
mgarepo, rpmlint, they may potentially disrupt build system. So by being
clear and using backports, we would avoid such problem more easily.

--
Michael Scherer