[Mageia-dev] kernel 3.0 is a big mistake in cauldron

Kira elegant.pegasus at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 13:34:03 CEST 2011

在 Sat, 16 Jul 2011 19:29:27 +0800, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU
<beranger5ca at yahoo.ca>寫道:

>> you still can use the kernel 2.6 which is installed on your machine,
>> installing a newer kernel doesn't uninstall the previous one.
>
> yes, I can, but only because I've edited menu.lst _manually_.
> the new kernel added 2 grub entries, at the end, both pointing to the
> 3.0.0 kernel.
> and the default one (first one) also booted the 3.0.0 kernel.

In drakboot, you can setup the default pointing to 2.6.38 kernel...

>> for my part i still love tmb a lot for his awesome work.
>
> for the past, yes.
> for pushing 3.0.0 as a forced update to 2.6.38... this is just a bad
> decision!
>
> you all squeak and tweak over pushing or not pushing Adobe Flash 11
> Beta1 x86_64 into Cauldron, because it's beta.
> heck, it's just a bloody plugin!
> but when comes to such a crucial thing as the kernel... forcing rc7over
> a working kernel is always good, because it's signed by Linus, and
> because tmb has pushed the mga patches.
>
> well, I beg to strongly disagree.

A big difference is that kernel needs more test, but flash plugin can

still use 32-bits to work. It's in cauldron so we can do more test and

maybe report to upstream/make our own changes. You can't stop at 2.6.38

for long, the development of kernel would continue, and more testing

would do good to us and other user in other distro.