[Mageia-dev] kernel 3.0 is a big mistake in cauldron

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Sat Jul 16 15:36:35 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 09:11, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU
<beranger5ca at yahoo.ca>wrote:

> To end this flamewar: when I decide to use a
> cauldron/cooker/rawhide/unstable system, I expect I will need to fix some
> breakages, but at least
> (1) let me have a proper choice of kernels in GRUB, including the previous
> one;
> (2) don't force UNRELEASED kernels on me!

This thread was certainly amused and very fruitful for at least my fortunes
file, but may I suggest you to start using some other distribution or
operating system which better satisfies your needs, and leave us, poor
mortals, with Mandriva/Mageia stable/cooker/cauldron gnu/linux solutions -
which work the way we love? :)

They are imperfect, they have unreleased versions all the time, they have
breakages, upgrades, updates, flaws, problems, design issues, and so on -
but this is fine for us!

> Breaking a package is one thing, breaking the kernel is a totally different
> one.

And breaking a window is totally different as well, I agree :(. As well as
breaking a leg for example, and breaking habits. And let us not forget that
it is completely and if I might say, even oppository - to breaking a home
run (all via http://www.thefreedictionary.com/break)!

> And no, I won't investigate anything, I'll not file any report on what it's
> not working with this kernel and my hardware.

Yep, I have already realized this, but thanks to confirming nonetheless :).

> Regressions in kernels are the thing I hate the most in this world.

Yes, this is certainly one of the cruelest and merciless things in the
world, I must agree.. :(

> I've experienced kernel regressions in the past every 6 months with each
> and every Ubuntu release -- and those were kernels supposed to be tested
> well-enough.

Apparently they weren't. Let me apologize on behalf of Ubuntu developers and
Linus Torvalds himself for not being proactive enough to make kernels work
on your hardware, I believe that they will be really ashamed of themselves
at the moment they'll read this. Sorry :(.

> What I like in Linux is never the kernel.

This seems to be apparently contradictory to some other phrases, but I have
to agree - I like never kernel, for example, the 3.0 seems to be great (for
me!)

> Never ever.

World is soooo busy those days...

> It's monolithic, impossible to be properly tested, and managed by a stupid
> fat arrogant guy called Linus.

Yep, I agree, he will be even more ashamed of himself after reading this...
:(

The only kernels I loved were 1.2.13 and1.3.18.

2.2.16 was pretty cool, and 2.4.1 with reiserfs was nice too, but yes, those
new shiny trending things - even being a bit cool - are still among the most
hated things, this is so very true :(. I have to confess that they must
learn a thing or two from DOS - almost 30 years without a remote hole in
default install, and working as stable and fast as possible since their
first release!

> After that, the kernel was just a nuisance -- like the government, the
> taxes, the Microsoft tax, etc.

Yep, I agree with you, the governments, taxes, Microsoft and its tax are
almost as bad as kernel regressions (mentioned above), but they are still
are a far cry from those!

But once again, let me apologize for the Linux community, Free Software
developers, Linus Torvalds himself and - of course - mr. Richard Matthew
Stallman for not being proactive enough in their efforts to make GNU/Linux
working on your computer in most flawless and perfect way. I believe they
feel really achamed now and as a sign of my support for their cause, and due
to my involvement in the open source community, I will mourn those tragic
events today with a minute of silence on this mailing list (starting now).

--
Eugeni Dodonov
http://eugeni.dodonov.net/