[Mageia-dev] util-linux vs util-linux-ng

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Sat Jul 16 17:53:55 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:13, D.Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Eugeni Dodonov <eugeni at dodonov.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 05:33, D.Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> not yet because nobody proposed or had time, but if you want  this is
> >> i think the perfect time
> >
> > Cool, I can help with that!
> >
> > What would be the best solution - import a new util-linux package, with
> > Obsoletes/Provides for util-linux-ng; or rename util-linux-ng in svn to
> > util-linux and update the spec?
>
> i would prefer a rename, that way we keep the history in the SVN

On further thinking, probably it would be to have it imported it as a new
package, mostly for 1 reason:
 - If we rename util-linux-ng, it will break possible updates of it for
mageia1 (as it will be gone from svn)

Also, I've disabled the loopAES patch which is hopelessly outdated and
broken and only gets updated sometimes over past years. I think there are
much better solutions now, and actually I think that we could drop it - but
I did not wanted to take this decision without additional discussion.

If we should keep it, it can be updated after a reasonable amount of work,
but it will get broken again with a new util-linux release over and over
again. So I'd vote for dropping it.

But besides that, util-linux 2.19.1 is there now, I'll try importing it
today (but with 3g connections it is hard to make promises)..

--
Eugeni Dodonov
http://eugeni.dodonov.net/