[Mageia-dev] Ownership of /usr/share/man/XX, %find_lang --with-man

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jul 16 20:00:57 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :

> Le samedi 09 juillet 2011 à 14:46 +0200, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
>> I used the --with-man option of the %find_lang RPM macro, but noticed that it
>> adds all /usr/share/man/XX and /usr/share/man/XX/manX directories to the
>> package, which, it seems, is bad.
>>
>> Spturtle noticed that for example /usr/share/man/sr belongs to no other
>> package and prefers that it belongs to too much packages than to no package at
>> all.
>>
>> I looked at what fedora does, and it looks like they added all those
>> translated manpages dirs to the filesystem package ( see
>> http://sophie.zarb.org/explorer/usr/share/man/sr and select fedora )
>> It would solve the problem at hand and we could start cleaning wrong
>> ownerships, such as those :
>> http://sophie.zarb.org/explorer/usr/share/man/fr (select mageia)
>
> Filesystem sound the logical place to put everything.
> The real problem is to find the canonical list of supported languages.

It seems to me that we should treat all languages the same.  But not create
directories/assign ownership for languages not on the user's system.

So that would mean assigning ownership (to filesystem) when an arbitrary new
language is added, or systematically denying ownership for all such directories.
(If readily done, assigning to filesystem does sound better.)

Either way I think the build system could play a role in this.
And maybe rpmlint.

Since I don't know how ownership is stored, nor how ownership is now assigned
for such directories, I don't know how we would implement this.
But it might be an idea, once we decide what to do (depending on what is
workable), that we have a utility that will clean the users' package database,
to conform to our new rules.

Another 2 cents.
--
André