[Mageia-dev] kernel 3.0 is a big mistake in cauldron

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 16 23:33:32 CEST 2011

> The above statement clearly says "I've only read one feature of
> systemd"

Maybe it's not about systemd. Maybe it's about upstart. Or maybe
it's about a half-dozen init system I don't care about -- and you know
why?

Not just because I'm not a sysadmin, but because the public image --
those 99% of the enthusiastic blog posts and reviews and whatever
the Linux fanbois are doing -- only stress on boot time charts, and
"hey, this one boots 1 second faster!"

The bling-bling & glitter is not my fault. This is how Linux is marketed
-- and not only by Ubuntu/Canonical.

Still, restarting the network w/o losing any connection (I can't figure
out how this is possible) should not belong IMVHO to the init system.
It could as well be a specific change only related to networking.
There must be more than one way to do a thing.

> I can't say I'm surprised that you're jumping to conclusions again
> and
> making up your own reason and justifications as this is exactly how
> you've behaved on this list thus far.

This doesn't change the fact that in Linux, as soon as a technology is
mature & stable enough, someone gets on steroids and decides to
develop a totally different replacement, which is then pushed on the
market while not entirely production-ready.

Of course, RHEL won't get it until it's production ready (except that it
got KDE4 with plenty of bugs), but by "market" I wasn't only referring
to the commercial offerings. Market is also people trying to escape
the Microsoft tax.

I am using Linux because it's funny, but XP SP3 is far more stable
to me, so I always keep a working partition with it. 2 BSODs in 2 years
(and it's constantly updated), at pair with 2 kernel panics in 2 years
(for stable distros!), but hundreds and hundreds of KDE or apps crashes.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion, I'm just not a fan of anything. It's hard
to find someone working in IT that is not proud of the field -- you too are
proud. I am working in IT and I don't praise anything. I'm sick of the lack
of quality in the software field, that's all, and planned or perceived
obsolescence is one of the causes, unnecessary complexity is another
one, and there are many more -- mostly cultural and a sign of our ages.
(Maybe I'm too old and, as an electrical engineer, I remember the times
when everything that worked was hardware and wired logic at most.)

R-C