[Mageia-dev] new mgarepo version

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sun Jul 17 05:40:21 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :

> Le samedi 16 juillet 2011 à 14:31 +0300, Ahmad Samir a écrit :

>>> Wasn't it against the policy ( ie, this is neither a bugfix, this is a
>>> version update, providing feature ) ?
>>>

>> That is a bug fix; is there any other way a Mageia packager running
>> mga1 can set/unset himself as a maintainer of a package in the
>> official Mageia repos?
>
> Yes :
> - using cauldron in a vm, a chroot
> - backporting by himself the package
>
> Packagers convenience do not seems a reason to bypass our policies.
>
>> That is not a "feature", that's a "basic requirement" in repository
>> access and management tool for a distro, that was missing and is now
>> available, that warrants an official update, IMHO...
>
> Everybody has a different vision of what is a basic requirement, and the
> problem with such reasoning is that we first start to say "this is not a
> new feature", and then, someone say "I need to have this in stable and
> like $FOO, I think that's a basic requirement, so we should
> backport/upgrade".

+1
I think it's better to follow policy as much as possible.  And try to avoid a
lot of ad hoc exceptions.  If we come to a concensus on an exception, that
would effectively revise our policy.  But it is better to revise policy first.

A new feature, however essential it may seem, is still a new feature.
And nothing is wrong with using the occasional backport for specific reasons.

Although I installed the mgarepo update, I would have looked for it in
backports if it hadn't been in updates.

> All packagers should have a cauldron installed somewhere, or that mean
> they cannot test any packages or try to reproduce any bugs on it ( ie,
> do the job of a package maintainer ).

Good point.  Have to do that soon.  That should be documented for apprentices.
  (If not already.)

--
André