[Mageia-dev] kernel 3.0 is a big mistake in cauldron

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 17 11:56:52 CEST 2011

Am 16.07.2011 13:29, schrieb Radu-Cristian FOTESCU:

> it is. normally, when an update pushes a totally new kernel, it should make sure GRUB still has an entry with the previous kernel.
> no, not "failsafe" with the latest kernel, but just the previous working kernel.
>

> with either of Mageia 1 and Mageia Cauldron, I could _never_ get an updated kernel to _properly_ update GRUB's menu.list.
> I suppose it's rocket science. It's like GRUB was release yesterday and nobody knows how to deal with it.

I totally agree with that. The normal behaviour should be that the old
kernel stays in the list for a while so if the new one fails you will
still be able to boot your system.

>> for my part i still love tmb a lot for his awesome work.
>
> for the past, yes.
> for pushing 3.0.0 as a forced update to 2.6.38... this is just a bad decision!
>
> you all squeak and tweak over pushing or not pushing Adobe Flash 11 Beta1 x86_64 into Cauldron, because it's beta.
> heck, it's just a bloody plugin!
> but when comes to such a crucial thing as the kernel... forcing rc7over a working kernel is always good, because it's signed by Linus, and because tmb has pushed the mga patches.

Why that? Mageia2 will be released somewhere on April 2012. So until
there we will have Kernel 3.1 or 3.2 so why should we stay on an old
kernel if there is a newer one???

And as is told, this is Cauldron so it will break sometimes. My last try
of Cauldron with Gnome caused me a problem so i wasn't able to upgrade
to the latest packages because of a conflict of 2 packages. So what it's
a development environment which is known to be unstable and that's why i
only enable it in a vm.