[Mageia-dev] measuring our resources for release support

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sun Jul 24 07:18:44 CEST 2011

Margot a écrit :
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:44:03 -0400
> andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> At the last packager's meeting I've been given the task of
>> gathering ideas of how to measure our resources for supporting
>> releases. Part of this is to see if we have (or will likely have)
>> the resources for a LTS (long-term support) release.
>>
>> These resources will involve QA, testing, packaging updates, etc.
>>
>> So we're inviting input - there are probably factors overlooked,
>> so don't hesitate with your suggestions.
>>
>> Please post to this thread, so we have all the suggestions in one
>> place.
>>
>> Regards :)
>
> Before deciding whether we can support a LTS release, we need to
> look at what users will expect as 'support' for any non-LTS release.

Note that this is off topic, as this thread is about how to measure our
resources to support releases.

> This is the support that I, as a mere user, would expect:
>
> (a) security&  bugfix updates
> (b) supported backports of popular applications (Firefox,
> LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Gimp etc.)
> (c) user support - experienced Mageia users available on mailing
> lists/forums/IRC giving help and advice to users who have problems.

Ok.  (Although I'm not sure about Gimp.)

> And, as many users will not be willing and/or able to upgrade to
> latest stable Mageia immediately when it is released, I would
> expect all of that support to continue until next-but-one release -
> so, support for Mageia 1 until the release of Mageia 3, support for
> Mageia 2 until release of Mageia 4 etc.
>
> With our 9-month release cycle, that means that all releases would
> be supported for 18 months.

If I'm not mistaken, that what we have already decided.

> Is there any need for LTS on top of
> that? People running servers might think that 18 months is not long
> enough, but Mageia is not primarily aimed as a server distro and 18
> months should be plenty for desktop users.

Why would you think that LTS would only be of interest for server use ?
My experience would indicate the contrary, in most business environments.
As well as many individual users.

> Bear in mind that many of our brave volunteers will be supporting 3
> versions of Mageia - current and immediate previous stable, plus
> cauldron -  so adding a 4th LTS version might put too much strain on
> their hardware or on their family life!

Strictly speaking, cauldron is not supported, particularly in terms of your
definition.  (i.e. backports, end user support.)
It is our development branch, where we expect things to be broken on a regular
basis, and ordinary end-users are advised to not use.
However, indeed LTS would be an additional (3rd) version to support.

Note again that this thread is about how to measure our resources to support
releases.

--
André