[Mageia-dev] Updates and 0 release

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Tue Jul 26 13:22:53 CEST 2011

Le 26/07/2011 12:40, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> while trying to work on the queue of update needing a push, I noticed
> that almost all of them use a "Release: 0".
>
> Since this has a specific meaning ( ie, used for pre release, or svn
> snapshot ), using this for updates is quite confusing, and I do not see
> the reason for that.

When it is used for prerelease (mainly in cauldron), the release 0 is
usually associated with a svn or git rev. number, or date, or alpha,
beta ... so it is not so much confusing with this use in update for
official release.

> If the goal is to be sure that the software is still upgradable, the
> whole %mkrel stuff should take care of that. And if not, we can rebuild
> in cauldron to increase the release.

We regularly used release 0 and subrel 1 in Mdv for the packages updated
with the same version in official releases and in cooker (firefox,
thunderbird, java-1.6.0-sun, ...), to be sure that the package from the
official release will be updated by a update to the devel release or the
next official release.

we often used in such packages:
%if %mandriva_branch == Cooker
# Cooker