[Mageia-dev] Updates and 0 release

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Wed Jul 27 16:59:37 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011 12:52:04, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le mardi 26 juillet 2011 19:38:30, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> > Le mardi 26 juillet 2011 18:42:05, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Yet, the problem would also be there for regular non-version upgrade
> > > ( ie, if we have foo-2-2.mga2 in cauldron and stable, and that we need
> > > to rebuild on stable and not on cauldron, we face the same problem ),
> > > so using 0 is a incomplete solution to the issue, and the only
> > > solution is to rebuild in cauldron, and such problem should better be
> > > detected by youri.
> >
> > Very good point, this is a decisive argument to me.
> >
> > > So, the conclusion is that we should test ugprade rather than assuming
> > > that it will just work because we placed a 0 instead of a 1 somewhere.
> >
> > Ok for me provided we put in place the necessary processes to avoid
> > upgrade problems (Youri::Submit::Test::Precedence for example).
> >
> > > Now, using 0 prevent us from having a simple way of seeing what
> > > prerelease we ship and that should be updated to latest stable ( as
> > > this seems to me quite desirable ).
> >
> > Good point too.
> >
> > > This is also inconsistent with the practice we had of backporting from
> > > cooker ( as the initial goal at Mandriva was to have 0 modifications
> > > from cooker to backports to reduce the load ). And if we ship something
> > > in update and in backports, we would have the same packages with 2
> > > different releases, and that doesn't seems a good idea.
> >
> > Worse, the backport would be preferred to the update :/
> >
> > You should have said all this right from the start rather than assuming
> > that we would have all these elements in mind :)
> >
> > Samuel
>
> I suggest we add this point to tonight's meeting topics and that a decision
> be taken then.
>
> Then we would adapt the updates policy and the current packages in
> updates_testing if the 0 release in updates is abandoned. We must also
> decide if we continue to use subrels or not (using them could avoid
> unneeded rebuilds in cauldron when there are packaging bugs in updates).
>
> Best regards
>
> Samuel

Ok, there will be no meeting tonight, so let's decide it on the ML. Was
everyone convinced by misc's demonstration and do we agree to stop using the 0
release for updates and activate the Youri::Submit::Test::Precedence check on
submit to prevent higher releases in mageia n than in mageia n+1 ?

And if yes do we use subrels for subsequent modifications of packages that are
proper to the mageia 1 branch ?

I vote yes for both questions.

Samuel