[Mageia-dev] Finalizing update process

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Thu Jun 9 07:00:24 CEST 2011

On 09.06.2011 02:25, Michael Scherer wrote:
> I guess we can start with a list of exception :
>
> - stuff that should be updated to latest version, because the security
> support for older releases ( firefox, chrome ) is too hard
> -> we update to latest version if there is no regression and a strong
> reason to upgrade ( severe bugfixes, security issue, breakages ).
> Exception of this category should be very expectional
>
> - stuff where there is strict bugfixes only release
> ( postgresql ), or update to a stable version ( which should be a bugfix
> only release when compared to beta/rc :) )
> -> we upgrade to stable ( for rc/beta )
> -> we do version update if it is bug fixes and if the packager is ok
> with it ( and if the rules of the bugfix branches are clearly documented
> )
>
> - everything else
> -> only minimal patches
>
> The question of game is still open, ie, should it go in 1st category, or
> should we have different rules to see what should be there or not ?
>
> I guess this would only be for networked game ?

Yes. Note that this applies to some other software that communicates
with outside systems as well, e.g. subdownloader. Maybe also Vuze if the
content delivery system requires a version update.

Maybe the correct phrasing would be something like:
- Packages where some functions no longer work due to remote server
  changes, requiring a newer version of the package.

--
Anssi Hannula