[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 9 13:39:17 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 09/06/11 11:03 did gyre and gimble:
> 2011/6/9 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Christiaan Welvaart at 09/06/11 10:40 did gyre and
>> gimble:

>>> Filing bug reports is not a bad idea, even if the new package will go to
>>> backports. Just explain a little why it is important (to fix this in a
>>> stable release).
>>>
>>> We probably need a new "version" in bugzilla because mga1+backports is
>>> basically a new distro. A bug in backports shouldn't be filed against
>>> "1" IMHO.
>
> There's already a lot of requests for missing packages in Bugzilla,
> the question about filing such bug reports was answered long ago.
>
>> As I said in my original mail I really don't think backports is the
>> right approach.
>>
>> I'd prefer to have a 3rd party repo than abuse backports to get the
>> missing packages.
>
> I thought we will try to avoid 3rd party repos?

Yes we did, but I still think it would be better than using backports as
backports is very specifically "not-supported updates" and if users have
to add that media to get the missing packages then IMO this is very
dangerous. Hence my statement that it would *prefer* to use a 3rd party
repo over using backports as it is safer for the user. It doesn't mean
to say I like the idea in an absolute sense.

My *preferred* (i.e. absolute, not relative) is to use updates, but
without the QA burden and overhead.

Hope that clarifies.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]