[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 10 10:56:35 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Ahmad Samir at 09/06/11 17:42 did gyre and gimble:
> On 9 June 2011 14:22, Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Dexter Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> schrieb am 09.06.2011

>>> Please no 3rd repo :)
>>
>>> But i agree with you for updates for "new" packages ( no "new"
>>
>>> versions ;) )
>>

>> I would prefer using updates over backports as well. If we use backports we
>> would get more problems then benefit (like people not having backports
>> enabled or people having backports enabled and thus getting problems they
>> can't handle e.g. with new kernels, graphic drivers and so on).
>>

>> Perhaps we could upload them to updates/testing for a really short qa before
>> moving them to updates/ ?
>>

>> Oliver
>
> If it's pushed to /updates then it should be imported to the stable
> release SVN tree; note that at some point Cauldron could get a newer
> version than the one in /updates, and maybe it's not backportable, new
> deps, regressions... etc. But now if there's a bug in the version in
> the stable */updates, and it needs a patch, what are you gonna base
> the patch on if you submit directly from the Cauldron SVN checkout to
> */updates, and the Cauldron package has already changed?
>
> But if new package can go directly to updates.. that doesn't look
> right to me, because at which point will "new" packages stop going to
> a stable release */updates? if it goes on and on, then we're talking
> about a semi-cauldron-like repo.

So just svn cp it to the /1/updates tree in svn and job's a good 'un.
(well svn cp is no longer just one step due to source separation, but
the principle is the same!).

> Also note that a new package in Cauldron gets tested for a while
> (depending at which point it was imported during the release cycle),
> but if gets pushed to /updates and not backports (which is "not
> supported"), that testing period is short-circuited.

Yeah but then the examples I've got so far are:

 * trac
 * supybot
 * supybot-Meetbot
 * passwd-gen
 * dd_rescue

In all these cases, these are packages I use. I will be testing them on
that version of the distro. And when I don't use them every day, (e.g.
passwd-gen, dd_rescue), they are pretty standard, stable and standalone
apps.

IMO we can over-analyse the "risk" factor here massive to the detriment
of the overall offering.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]