[Mageia-dev] Problems with Gnome 3

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:55:40 CEST 2011

2011/6/10 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le jeudi 09 juin 2011 à 10:49 +0100, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 09/06/11 10:25 did gyre and gimble:

>> > Same here, I'm a bit surprised.
>>
>> We're on the next cycle now. Quite frankly I'd be stunned (and hugely
>> disappointed) if we *didn't* have Gnome 3!
>
> While I have no issue with gnome-shell, I have read enough reports of
> people not happy with it to know we would head to a 2nd kde 4.0 story.
> So maybe we could start to learn from the past and discuss with users to
> explain the update, see why they do not want etc, instead of being
> purely focused on "it is cauldron, let's update everything".

I do have a problem with gnome-shell, that is my individual opinion.
But I also read a lot of discussions among Gnome users where the new
way of Gnome seems to split the community much more than the KDE3.5 to
KDE4 change. This has been said already way back when we started to
get the first requests for Gnome3 in Mageia1. Since that time we
always told the users that implementing Gnome3 will be subject to
discussion after the Mageia 1 release.

So I was a bit surprised that this was done kind of automagically
without any discussion.

Besides this I agree to Michael's suggestion.

--
wobo