[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 16:09:57 CEST 2011

On 10/06/11 13:54, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 à 14:21 +0200, Oliver Burger a écrit :
>> Thomas Backlund<tmb at mageia.org>  schrieb am 10.06.2011
>>> So the path would then be */updates_testing ->  */updates _if_ we
>>> decide that's the way to go...
>> As I see it, it's the only user friendly way. Using backports is fine
>> for experienced users who do know what to install from backports or
>> who are capable of facing the consequences.
>> If a total newbie asks fort a package in the forums and is pointed to
>> backports he is in great danger of wrecking his system by installing
>> some new kernel, graphics driver, desktop or whatever, precisely
>> because there is no real qa on backports.
>
> He can also wait for the release. Or he can enable backport just for the
> time needed to install and then disable it. I think rpmdrake have some
> stuff for that.

Even though backports are disabled rpmdrake can display a list of
available backports. (The sources are automatically updated by
mgaonline.) A selected backport can then be installed, without enabling
the backports source. (I've just tested this on mdv 2010.0, the only mdv
system that I have available.)

Jim