[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Fri Jun 10 16:28:52 CEST 2011

Am 10.06.2011 16:09, schrieb James Kerr:
> On 10/06/11 13:54, Michael Scherer wrote:
>> Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 à 14:21 +0200, Oliver Burger a écrit :
>>> Thomas Backlund<tmb at mageia.org> schrieb am 10.06.2011
>>> As I see it, it's the only user friendly way. Using backports is fine
>>> for experienced users who do know what to install from backports or
>>> who are capable of facing the consequences.
>>> If a total newbie asks fort a package in the forums and is pointed to
>>> backports he is in great danger of wrecking his system by installing
>>> some new kernel, graphics driver, desktop or whatever, precisely
>>> because there is no real qa on backports.
>>
>> He can also wait for the release. Or he can enable backport just for the
>> time needed to install and then disable it. I think rpmdrake have some
>> stuff for that.
>>

> Even though backports are disabled rpmdrake can display a list of
> available backports. (The sources are automatically updated by
> mgaonline.) A selected backport can then be installed, without enabling
> the backports source. (I've just tested this on mdv 2010.0, the only mdv
> system that I have available.)
>
> Jim

I've tested it on Mageia right now. I've activated Core-testing and see
that there is one package inside it: iputils_20101006_3.mga1. After that
I've disabled the testing repo and searched for iputils. Rpmdrake lists
me the version 2.mga1. Therefore, rpmdrake only lists packages of the
activated repos.

Greetings,
Thorsten