[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Jun 10 17:18:54 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 à 16:27 +0200, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> James Kerr <jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk> schrieb am 10.06.2011
> > Even though backports are disabled rpmdrake can display a list of
> > available backports. (The sources are automatically updated by
> > mgaonline.)
> I make you parden, but: no!
>
> When a repo is disabled it doesn't get updated automatically and its
> packages are not to be found in rpmdrake.
> Did you confuse "disabling repos" and "marking a repo for updates"
> (sorry, me doesn't know the exact English strings).
>

> So you have to enable the backports repos and even though you don't
> "mark them as update repos", urpmi will ignore that (rpmdrake won't
> but urpmi will) and will update everything from those repos...

UI wise, I think it would make sense to have that ( even if a idea is
not sufficient, and we need a patch ) :

User search for a package, he should see the latest recommended version
( ie, release/updates ).

If he say "also provides newer versions", then we could show backports,
with some indication that we provides a tested version, and a
potentially newer ones.

We can agree that everybody want something newer for some rpms, but few
people want everything to be newer ( ie, now one run backports as a
update media, I think ). So as much as I am against asking to users
questions, we must show them the choice somewhere, in a non obstrusive
way.

And for testing integration, I think we could have a different workflow,
maybe something linked to a bug reporting tool. I have a bug on kde and
use some custom bug reporting tool, the tools notice that something
could be tested, and say to the user "we have a update candidate, do you
want to test ? If unsure, say no" ?

--
Michael Scherer