[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport? (was: Finalizing update process)

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Jun 10 18:11:21 CEST 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > release is obviously frozen so no go there.
> >
> > The only real option is updates, but that should obviously have some QA
> > on it.
>
> Updates is not for new version of software, not for new softwares. And
> backporting something from cauldron is not a update.

Maybe we could change the definition of updates repository. Rather than
a strict rule "no new version and no new software in updates", we could
have something like this :

 - updates : no regression, and no changes in interfaces / protocols /
   config files since last package. You could have a cron script updating
   from this repository and nothing should stop working.

 - backports : possible regressions and/or changes in interfaces /
   protocols / config files. Updates from this repository should not be
   installed automatically but checked by user.