[Mageia-dev] [RFC] Removing .la files

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 10 18:24:10 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Ahmad Samir at 10/06/11 17:01 did gyre and gimble:
> On 10 June 2011 17:56, Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 17:34 +0200, Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
>>>  If people are using a system with gnome
>>> installed to develop gnome, it's not strange they run into problems.
>>
>> This is nonsense, sorry.  It's no stranger than a KDE-user wanting to
>> recompile kwrite or krita.
>>

> If you want a proper package, you should build in a clean chroot; just
> like the BS does, every single package is built in a clean chroot,
> that's a necessary measure to ensure the quality of the produced
> packages. If you don't build in a clean chroot, the build will pick
> all sorts of old/new libs from the system... :)

I seriously doubt people do want that.

I don't want to compile from kernel, glibc upwards just to build 5 gnome
or KDE modules.... I will want to use *some* system stuff and *some*
self compiled stuff.

Removal of .la files will make this much easier. I can't count the times
I've had to do dirty hacks to work around these linking issues.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]