[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Sat Jun 11 12:06:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Michael Scherer wrote:

> We can agree that everybody want something newer for some rpms, but few
> people want everything to be newer ( ie, now one run backports as a
> update media, I think ). So as much as I am against asking to users
> questions, we must show them the choice somewhere, in a non obstrusive
> way.

Maybe, but how would be "support" this? We must be able to reproduce a
reported problem. This becomes complicated when we don't know what is
installed on the user's system. A guideline for bug reporters is (or
should be) "make sure you installed the latest updates". What would be the
equivalent for backports? I'm afraid it should be "if you installed any
backports, make sure you installed all backports that are relevant for
your system". If someone has a problem with any other combination, the bug
report might be rejected. How would QA even work when only selected
packages are upgraded from backports, or integration testing:
integration with what?

So the only combinations we can support are:
   - release + updates
   - release + updates + backports

More practical: for mga1 I have a VM that I can keep updated. For mga1
backports I can install another VM with backports enabled. But for bugs
reported with only selected backports installed I suppose I would have to
install a new VM with mga1, update it, and install only those backports -
for each bug report. But maybe I'm missing something, please explain. (:

     Christiaan