[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 13 13:16:22 CEST 2011

> Unstable branch - absolute latest software here...
> Rolling unstable - Still risky but not on the lines of unstable
> Rolling stable - everyday use and very stable

May I add my bit of unrequested thoughts?

This discussion seems to only differentiate between "degrees of unstability and risks", but nothing about "user roles".
IMHO, a distro is not only about "risk vs. features", but also about what people are expecting from it.

I could imagine for user roles:

"rolling-user" branch:
-- KDE4, GNOME3, XFCE, LibreOffice, Firefox/Thunderbird, Chromium are always kept to the latest _stable_ (not development) version;
-- other applications might be kept (or not) to the latest _stable_ (not development) version;
-- other libraries are to be upgraded _only_ if they're required by newer applications.

"rolling-user-risky" branch:
-- KDE4, GNOME3, XFCE, LibreOffice, Firefox/Thunderbird, Chromium are always kept to the latest _development_/_unstable_ version;
-- other applications might be kept to the latest _development_/_unstable_ version, otherwise most are kept to the latest _stable_ version;
-- other libraries are to be upgraded _only_ as they're required by newer applications.

"rolling-developer" branch:
-- everything updated to the latest _development_/_unstable_ versions of everything.

Does this make any sense?

Best regards,
R-C (aka Beranger with an e acute)