[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 01:02:20 CEST 2011

<r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On lundi 13 juin 2011 at 23:06, Thorsten van Lil wrote :
> >> A rolling release has following advantages:
> >> 1. the distribution is always up to date (also hardware support)
> >> 2. no re-install over and over again
> >
> > I don't get it why people think a re-install is necessary.
> > My current computer was installed with mandriva 2007 (don't remember if
> > it was .0 or .1), it is now mageia 1 and has been updated to all
> > intermediary mdv releases.
>
> My currently running install started as Mdv 2009.1, updated via urpmi to
> 2010.2, then converted to Mageia cauldron during beta 1.
>
> With a little over 4400 packages, the upgrade from one release to the next
> takes over 8 hours, on this single core Celeron processor, so even though
> it's not an actual re-install, it still feels like one. /usr alone is 13GB.

I have a similar machine, but updated through the applet, which means it only
takes about 1hour and you can work in the main time and reboot when you want.
i don't understand why users would be expressly wanting rolling release when
you don't need to reinstall, or "upgrade" in a traditional sense at all...