[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Jun 14 01:02:51 CEST 2011

Le lundi 13 juin 2011 à 15:51 +0300, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> Wolfgang Bornath skrev 13.6.2011 15:20:
> > About the cycles:
> >
> > The 9-months seem to be a compromise - but I start to ask why we need
> > such a fixed statement (which it would be, once published). We need a
> > schedule for each cycle, that's true. Without a schedule we would
> > never finish anything. But how about taking 9 months only as a "nice
> > to meet" target, leaving us the option to set a roadmap after setting
> > the specs of the next release - we could then go for a 8 or 10 months
> > roadmap, depending on the specs.
> >

> This is somewhat like what I had in my mind to write too, but you beat
> me to it :)
>
> It could allow us to adapt a little for upstream releases.
> But should we then decide that the limit is +/- 1 month ?

There is 2 problem :
- for release of what software ?
- what if the upstream planning is wrong, and their releases is late
( as it happened when I was a trainee in Mandrakesoft, with xfree being
3 months late and the distribution still shipping a broken pre release )

> Obviously there will still be people complaining that "you waited 10
> months... if you had extended with ~2 more weeks... "this" or "that"
> package would have been available too... and so on....

Yes, there will be.
So let's be realist, 9 months with +/- 1 month is just 10 months +
people complaining to have 10,5 months.

We will never use the -1 month, because there will always be something
worth waiting.

--
Michael Scherer