[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Tue Jun 14 02:36:59 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer said on Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:31:46AM +0200:

> And I think we can already decide to release 1 week later if a
> release_critical bug appears. Fedora 15 for example was 2 weeks late,
> because they changed the release date twice after having seen some
> problem (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/Schedule ).

I think that the level of flexibility that is really useful. Fixing a
target is nice for all projects. Now, if a blocking point happens, it's
wise to delay a bit.

I personaly find ridiculous the Ubuntu approach to release at fixed
dates, whatever happens, becasue it's 11.04, it should be in April 2011
!! But then their community is just angry because of the lack of
quality due to that.

So maybe what would be interesting is to have something like:
M1-M8: break and fix cauldron with lots of new stuff.
M8-M8.5: freeze period. Only bug fixes or HW support improvements goes
through or mageia tools. In particular, no new KDE, Gnome, LibreO, FF,
M8.5-M9: test period. Only bugs found there are fixed. As the cauldron
is closed, people have more time to upgrage with an already stabilized
distro, to make it really stable at the 9 months date.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net