[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Tue Jun 14 16:16:00 CEST 2011

Am 14.06.2011 15:43, schrieb Michael Scherer:
>> Yes, but Backports are not officially supported and we wouldn't advice new users
>> >  to backports normally.
> I am sorry, but I fail to follow your reasoning.

What I meant is: We can't tell the user to use the backports and if he
runs in trouble we let him alone and say he shouldn't have used it. If
we officially support and care for backports, than this is a different case.

> And as I said in another mail, if people want to follow arch linux and
> do a better job, maybe they should start to explain what are the weak
> points of the distribution and then do proposal on stuff that can be
> done better instead of asking to copy cat hoping this would be better.

I don't want a full rolling release, because of the listed
disadvantages. So, if you ask me what is "wrong" with Arch, I would say:
* due to the rolling release, it's nearly vanilla. This doesn't match
requirements of Mageia
* no innovations (because of vanilla)
* a rolling core system has a negative correlation with it's stability
* heavy work load
* ...

So, I don't ask for a copy of Arch nor any other distribution. I asked
(although it wasn't my idea) for something new. An compromise: a light
rolling release.

Further lack of clarity?

Greetings,
Thorsten