[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion - messages from the forum

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Tue Jun 14 16:21:41 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 15:38, Lee Forest <lee8oi at gmail.com> wrote:
> And keeping one golden rule of software development in mind, don't let your
> system do redundant tasks.

As golden as the need to not to have redundancy: it depends.
Redundancy can be very, very appreciated. But not always in a
discussion (be it with mail or web-based forum) where appropriately
quoting is very, very appreciated too. :-)

> What about being able to [...]

Yes, that could be nice, only, Mageia is not about building first an
improved mail/forum gateway, but about building first an improved
operating system. You can't blame people for focusing on this and
doing it with tools they are productive with already.

Migrating everyone to forums is, here, not acceptable. Dismissing
others from each side as well. Migrating everyone to ml was not even
considered (or we wouldn't have planned to have forums, or we would
have let them to local groups only).

That this question gets discussed on and on is a (good) sign that
people are motivated to participate. But are you motivated enough to
cross the bridge, to change your habits and to meet the people where
they gather to build this thing, and to instill improvements? The
bridge is wide open and there's so much to built it further. Only,
it's not necessarily what you expect it to be, at first.

There have been several suggestions as to build a forum/mail gateway,
only without the means to actually implement it within our
infrastructure. For what is existing, tux99 used to provide a 3rd
place showcase gateway in the past but I am not sure what its future
status will be; or you have
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.devel or
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.devel or we could consider
another gateway if it's worth it (Google groups? other?) and if
there's someone to lend a hand to... no, to join sysadmin team for
that (and other things).

Speaking of focus, this thread is about the release cycle. Now you are
welcome to open a bug http://bugs.mageia.org/ in the Websites,
forums.mageia.org section I guess; if you think it's worth it to
dig/document this ml/forum thing further (and even better, if you have
a better workable solution at hand). But please let this thread on
topic.

Romain